Thursday, July 24, 2008

It's been a while...

Well well well... I picked up my 5 month chip tonight!! Yeah me! What a trip it's been. I've not posted in a while cos I really wanted to put my all into my sobriety this time. And I have been, trust me. As opposed to my last tries at getting sober, I have:

1. Gotten a sponsor
2. Am working the steps
3. I go to meetings 7 days a week
4. Gotten some commitments
5. Actually become involved!

I used to suit up and show up (when I couldn't come up with a good enough reason not to). Now I read, share and I actually chaired on Tuesday night! Don't get me wrong, I was sweatin bullets doing it. But I had to do it. Meetings are the one place where I can try something new and, even if I flub it, no one will point at me and laugh.

I also have one very powerful tool to keep me on the straight and narrow. I think things through. When I think of that warm cozy feeling that just two beers would give me, I remember the other ten I'd end up having and the pills I was taking and the heroin I was considering as a viable option right before I quit, because the highs weren't high enough anymore. So, sure, I can very easily have those two beers anytime I want! But, in six months I'd have no job, no place to live, be strung out and living on the streets. Not a viable option.

Now, I can't guarantee that these things are gonna keep me sober forever. But they have so far and for that, I am well and truly thankful. I know that my Higher Power loves me and is helping me along these steps. Alone I couldn't do it.

Thanks for letting me share...

4 comments:

kel said...

Good morning, thanks for stopping by my blog and for all of your kind and supportive words. Congrats on your 5 month chip!!

Best to you,

~kel

Beth Blair said...

5 months is an awesome achievement. Congratulations. The program really does work for those who work it, I've seen it first hand with my dad, who's 20+ years sober now.

Good luck.

Laura said...

Hi!

Five months is fantastic and one day closer to six months. I have witnessed two siblings make these steps and are now 5 & 6 years in their recovery, and I am so proud of them and admire them for their committments.

I will be reading you regularly and putting you in my "prayer for pals" group.

:)

Coke Addiction Kinda Sucks said...

Quite encouraging. I've been to a couple of NA meetings, but never got past my white chip (keychain). I still have it in my head that I can just keep it down to once a week and be okay.