Friday, December 19, 2008

Schools Out

Ahhhh I made it through my first semester. Yippee! That was fun! Now it's time to get back to some serious blog commenting. I've been shirking my duties for a while, for which I feel sufficient guilt. Hopefully, it's out of the lurking shadows and back into the commenting light.

Hmmm... what's been going on. Not much, other than school, meetings and barely working. My job said if I stop with my classes and meetings, I can go back to full time. I'm not sure if asking me to give up my education and sobriety is legal or not, but when they fought my ability to get unemployment, I felt tempted to find out. I've just been too busy to start anything. That and I'm just not in a place, mentally, to fight anyone. I used to be, when I was using. A friend said that I was letting people walk all over me by not fighting back, but I don't see it that way. God has been providing for me since I got sober (and before that) so, if it's His will that I fight this, then I will. But I feel that this cut back is His way of my gently separating myself from something that used to be my entire life for 5 yrs. The deeper I get into school and the glory that is my sobriety, the less tolerance I have for my job and the petty crap that goes along with that. Ah well, no biggie. I can still pay my rent and still eat, so I'm not worried.

I must comment about something that happened the other day. I watched television. The first time in 10 months. And, I've gotta tell ya, it was not good. I watched a Sesame Street special and some show called Life. Between the commercials and the way the shows were laid out, I felt like I'd been repeatedly slapped about the head with a heavy, wet, slimy fish (what's with me an fishies lately?). Well, needless to say, I wont be repeating that little experiment anytime soon. I saw that I've not missed anything by remaining tv free. I did notice that the idea of "the last time I did this, I was drinking" did pop into my head. Not a comfortable feeling.

Anyway, I've got an hour before I have to show back up at (ugh) work. Until then, keep warm and try and drag your favorite set of lips over to the mistletoe. :o)

5 comments:

Laura said...

Great Post!

Syd said...

I will pick up my lips and drag them over and hope that my wife happens by. I feel like a skulker under the mistletoe.

steveroni said...

I know three people now who are TV free. That's you, bigJenn, and me. I'm SURE there's more.

And since blogging I don't even read the paper. Reminds me, I've got to cancel it!

Nice to read you, Thanks. And congrats of finishing one more session of school. Not easy!

dAAve said...

Yes, congrats on finished the semester.

Lou said...

I'm TV free too,Steve-O. Ahh..it's a wonderful thing!